“Diatomaceous Earth (diatomite, DE) is a naturally occurring, soft, chalk-like, sedimentary rock mineral that is easily crumbled into a fine white, off-white or pink powder. This powder is very light-weight due to its high porosity. It is made primarily of silicium and consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a hard-shelled algae which inhibited the waters of the Earth millions of years ago. Diatoms used to serve as the basic food for aquatic life, just as grass is the basic food for land animals. Some of these deposits which shfited to dry land overtime, have become the sources of diatomaceous earth as we know it. Diatomite can be of fresh and salt water origin. The fresh water diatomite is the one which is generally regarded as clean and is being used most widely for a number of purposes – insecticide being one of them. We supply only fresh-water diatomite.” saltsclaysminerals.com
We sell 3 types of Diatomaceous Earth:
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (Mexico)
- Non-calcined DE (Denmark)
- Calcined DE (Denmark)
- Against house insects (ants, cockroaches, silverfish, bed bugs, flies, fleas, box elder bugs, scorpions, crickets, ticks, etc.). Sprinkle the areas which you suspect is infested with insects. To eliminate bed bugs, ensure coverage of all the bed parts.
- Pet protection against insects and parasites: fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests. Rub the powder into the animal fur, sprinkle on the carpet, bedding. Avoid breathing in and make sure that your pets are protected from breathing it in while DE is being applied. Use non-calcined DE for this, since it has mostly amorphous (non-crystalline) silica which is less harmful for the lungs.
- Livestock protection against insects and parasites:horses, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits, chickens, and other domestic animals will benefit from the use of DE to protect them against fly larvae, ticks, fleas, etc.
- Livestock – other benefits: Regular addition of DE to animal feed is said to stimulate metabolic rate, improve coat and hoof condition, improve digestion and elimination, act as a natural mineral food supplement (it contains numerous minerals in it), promote healthier egg production and stronger eggs in poultry, and reduce overall animal stress.
- It can also reduce the odour in barns from excrement, prevent larvae from forming in the manure.
- Natural plant protection against insects:DE is the organic way of controlling insects in the garden, greenhouse, orchard, and more. Use it for control of slugs, whitefly, beetles, mites, grasshoppers, etc.
While being lethal to insects and parasites, DE is neutral to humans. However, repeated inhalation can be hazardous to the respiratory system and act as an irritant to the respiratory system, so handle with care, trying not to make it airborne. Wear a mask and protective glasses when covering large areas.
The DE comes in different packaging – from 18 to 30kg. Calcined DE is available in several different granule sizes: 0.2-0.6mm, 0.5-1mm, 1-3mm and 3-6mm. It is also available as a 200 mesh powder.