Fresh water Diatomaceous Earth from Mexico is classified as food codex grade. It is of high purity, similar to the Peruvian DE, containing 100% amorphous silica and very low levels of heavy metals.
In appearance, it is very light white powder of high volumeric weight, meaning that it occupies a large volume per kilo. Due to its high purity and relatively low price (compared to the Peruvian DE), the product is very popular for a wide range of uses, including but not limited to gardening and agriculture.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE, diatomite, kieselgur, celite) is a naturally occurring, soft, chalk-like, sedimentary rock mineral that is easily crumbled into a fine white, off-white or pink powder. This powder is very light-weight due to its high porosity. It is made primarily of silicium and consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a hard-shelled algae which inhibited the waters of the Earth millions of years ago. Diatoms used to serve as the basic food for aquatic life, just as grass is the basic food for land animals. Some of these deposits which shifted to dry land overtime, have become the sources of diatomaceous earth as we know it. Diatomite can be of fresh and salt water origin. The fresh water diatomite is the one which is generally regarded as clean and is being used most widely for a number of purposes – insecticide being one of them. We supply only fresh-water diatomite.
Fresh Water Origin
Mexican diatomite comes from a fresh water source and is very high in silica and very low in heavy metals. Freshwater diatomite is mined from dry lake beds and is mostly hydrated amorphous silica. The product is non-toxic, and is generally recognsied as safe around humans, animals, pets, plants and the environment (with some precautions to be taken not to inhale the powder). Its 100% natural origin ensures that it is free from the artificial chemicals which are abundant in modern-day insecticides, anti-parasite remedies and plant food.
How does diatomaceous earth work on insects and parasites?
Diatomite punctures the exoskeleton of insects and parasites and absorbs their body fluids effectively drying them out. It also acts as a powerful natural repellent. Insects stay away from surfaces covered with DE, making a serious infestation unlikely.
Known Applications of Diatomaceous Earth
- At home: used against house insects (ants, cockroaches, silverfish, bed bugs, flies, fleas, box elder bugs, scorpions, crickets, ticks, etc.). Sprinkle the areas which you suspect is infested with insects. To eliminate bed bugs, ensure coverage of all the bed parts.
- Pet protection against insects and parasites: fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests. Rub the powder into the animal fur, sprinkle on the carpet, bedding.
- Livestock protection against insects and parasites: horses, cows, pigs, sheep, goats, rabbits, chickens, and other domestic animals will benefit from the use of DE to protect them against fly larvae, ticks, fleas, etc.
- Livestock – other benefits: regular addition of DE to animal feed is said to stimulate metabolic rate, improve coat and hoof condition, improve digestion and elimination, act as a natural mineral food supplement (it contains numerous minerals in it), promote healthier egg production and stronger eggs in poultry, and reduce overall animal stress. It can also reduce the odour in barns from excrement, prevent larvae from forming in the manure.
- Natural plant protection against insects: DE is a non-toxic way of controlling insects in the garden, greenhouse, orchard, and more. Use it for control of slugs, whitefly, beetles, mites, grasshoppers, etc. For use in the greenhouse or outdoors on fruits, vegetables, flowers, grains and grass – up to and including day of harvest. Ensure coverage over the entire plant, including under the leaves. For young plants, two pounds per acre may be adequate. For larger plants, five lb/acre may be enough. Examine the leaves periodically to make sure that the DE goes all over the plant and the leaves are not eaten by bugs. Use special dust applicator. Make sure that you always wear protective mask over the face and your eyes are covered to avoid irritation of the eyes/mucous membrane.
Typical Chemical Analysis
SiO2 – 93.0%
Al2O3 – 2.0%
Fe2O3 – 1.0%
Na2O + K2O – 2.5%
MgO – 0.5%
TiO2 – 0.2%
P2O5 – 0.1%
Typical Physical Properties
Moisture – 3.0%
Oil Absorption – 220%
325 Mesh Screen Residue – 1.0%
pH (10% in water) – 8.0
Heavy Metal Analysis
Arsenic (As) – Maximum 10ppm
Lead (Pb) – Maximum 10ppm
Loss on Drying – Maximum 10.0%
Loss on Ignition – Maximum 7.0%
Non-Siliceous Substances – Maximum 25.0% (dry basis)
pH – Passes test
Country of Origin: Mexico
For more information and to order – please enquire here.